When you hear the word problem, what comes to your mind and how do you feel? It’s amazing the multiplicity of problems compared to the scarcity of solution. However, in this unique mix of problem and solution, problem is the norm, not solution.
But the real issue here is with the term problem which most people see as negative. As a matter of fact problems are believed to be negative. Contrary to popular belief problems are actually positive. Though we see problem as an evil designed to halt us on our stride to success. In other fields problems are literally the process to achieving a goal. So when we say, here’s the problem. We are literally saying, here’s the progress plan or platform to progress. But that’s not where I’m heading at. I only brought that concept to illustrate the amazing power people have to make negative out of normal. Because how we see a thing, what we believe about it affects how we act towards it or react to it. Such false representations and interpretations could actually deprive you of the advantage you stand to gain in the face of great opportunity in disguise of problems. To correct these false impressions, here are some points to consider.
- When you see problem think solution. You begin to flounder when you think one without the other. We actually call it worry. The truth is, there’s no problem without a solution, it’s like light and darkness. You can’t know one without the other (at least here on earth). The real problem as I see it is that we focus too much on the problem.
- Think you can, believe only in possibility. If only what you believe is possibility, then you leave no room and time in your creative mind impossible thoughts to be nurtured. There are two kinds of people, those who encounter problems and are discouraged and those who are turned on when they meet challenges. Yes most things are difficult but you must rid yourself of that negative power of turning difficult situations into impossible ones. Don’t coil in when you hear impossible rather come to life.
- Associate more with people who think solution when they hear problem. We are influenced by the relationships we keep and the books we read. Associate more with people who come to life at every difficulty and less with those who die by it.
On becoming a solution, I have one word for you which encapsulate the whole matter. Nobody is better positioned or more qualified to solve a problem than the one who discovered it (at least in the beginning). Most people identify problems and begin to promote it. You don’t solve a problem by focusing on it nor do you by generating attention to it. If you do, you increase the problem. The reason is because you then attract more people into the problem. Is that not right you ask? Well no, guess what most people are willing to readily share, their problems. So what do you do? When you identify a problem, take good note of it and forget it. Yes, just forget it (in the literal sense).
Now begin to focus on the solution. Such that you only think and talk of the solution. When you eventually get people involved, you are not inviting them into the problem, you are now involving them in the solution. Isn’t that interesting? It’s important how people get into the matter than the fact that they are just in it. For instance you have some nice looking, well dressed persons in your parlor and someone begins to point out who came in through the window, and who came through the door. Wouldn’t you begin to doubt their presence and appearance?
So you want to get people into the matter from the angle of its solution not the problem. Here are some steps that could help.
- Understand that you are the seed of the solution to a problem you identify
- Never neglect a problem no matter how little until you assign a solution to it by writing and then document it please.
- It takes higher thought and effort to solve a problem than it took to create it.
- Ideas are key to creative problem solving. Never neglect one no matter how silly or little it seems.
- Share the solution not the problem, you must have come up with something near the solution at least before you even take the identification out. That way you prove that you are committed to a solution.
There are problems everywhere and that’s absolutely normal, it’s not going to change. But this is far from the last to be said on this subject.
“If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem”. - Anonymous